A hot summer day calls for one thing – ice cream! With the addition of some homemade cookies, you’ve got a real celebration with these make-your-own ice cream sandwiches.
Grab an ice cream scoop, a carton of your favorite store-bought ice cream, your favorite cookie cutters (those with less detailed edges work best), and a baking sheet. This recipe takes a little bit of time (there’s a lot of chilling involved), but it’s worth it!
Cookie Cutter Ice Cream Sandwiches
– 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
– 1/4 cup vegetable oil
– 1 cup light brown sugar
– 2 eggs
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– A carton of your favorite ice cream
1. In a large bowl, use a mixer to beat together the butter, vegetable oil, and brown sugar until combined. Add the eggs and vanilla extract; mix again until thoroughly combined. Do not overbeat.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture while beating it at a low speed.
3. Once combined, the dough should be sticky. Chill the dough uncovered for at least one hour or until firm.
4. While the dough is chilling, line a 9×13 baking pan with wax paper. Spread your ice cream into the pan, making it as flat and even as possible. This is easier if it’s slightly warm, but if it’s too warm, it will start to melt and become too difficult to spread. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and then freeze for at least 8 hours – overnight is preferable.
5. When your dough is done chilling, cover your baking sheet with a silicone baking mat. Preheat your oven to 350 F.
6. Flour a surface and place your chilled dough on it. Use a rolling pin to flatten the dough until it’s around 1/4-inch thick. Use the cookie cutter of your choice – something that will easily hold its shape and contain your ice cream! – to cut your dough into shapes. Place each one on the cookie sheet and bake for approximately 8 minutes. Continue to roll out your dough and bake your cookies until all the dough is gone. Do not place the dough on a hot baking sheet (it’s a good idea to use more than one baking sheet to help with this). Cool your cookies completely before attempting the next step.
7. Here’s where it can get a little tricky! Remove your ice cream from the freezer. Using the same cookie cutter that you used on your cookies, cut out as many shapes as you can into your ice cream. Place each ice cream shape onto a cookie and top with another cookie. If your ice cream isn’t cooperating, freeze it for a longer period of time.
8. Serve your ice cream sandwiches immediately or wrap them in plastic wrap and freeze for up to two weeks.
This recipe should make around 8 ice cream sandwiches, depending on the size of your cutters.
You can really have fun making these ice cream sandwiches as customized as you want. Pick your favorite ice cream, roll your sandwich in your favorite decorative topping (mini chocolate chips, sprinkles, or cookies crumbles), and use a cookie cutter that you love. Share your creation using #randminternational on all your photos! Stay cool!